Monday, November 21, 2011

Tahini Dressing

In the veggie world, Tahini is used a lot. Tahini is a paste of ground sesame. Its delicious. Most people know it as being an ingredient in hummus. I have some in my cupboard at all times because I often make hummus myself but have never ventured in using it in salad dressings......until that is when I picked up a couple of salads from Capers on Saturday. I got a kale salad with Tahini dressing, OMG was it ever tasty! I have tried to recreate something similar even though I didn't have all the ingredients. It turned out pretty tasty.

Tahini dressing

1/4 cup tahini
1/2 lemon
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1 tsp soy sauce

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water if its too thick. 

TIP: If you have nutritional yeast, add a tablespoon. It will add a nice flavour to the dressing, make it creamier and "cheesy".

I put this over my salad on Saturday and now today. Super yum! Tahini has omega's, fiber, protein, vitamins, lots of goodness to make it a powerhouse seed. Its quite high in calcium content actually.....in a quarter cup it has 35% of your daily intake of calcium! Sesame seeds that make up tahini provide a massive amount of 1,160 mg of calcium/100 g serving!  That's about 10x the amount of calcium vs. milk for the same serving size.  Cow's milk provides roughly 118 mg of calcium/100 g. Crazy right?

I then sprinkled some hemp seeds and black and white sesame seeds on top. No osteoporosis for this gal. My salad had sui choy, spinach, kale, mandarin oranges, cucumber and broccoli. Mmmmmm

I do have some restaurant reviews and recipes for yah, but I forgot to bring my camera cable thingy. So you will have to wait until tomorrow for that. I wanted to get in some posts this weekend but it was Super hectic. And this week is insane too! Its funny how some weeks can fill up so far in advance and others I'm all spontaneous. It gets like that as the holidays get closer. Sigh, Christmas is almost here again. I'm just not ready.....nor in the spirit. Lol

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment