On November 18 at work we had a Delicata Squash Potluck or Extravaganza if you may. Everyone brought a dish made with Delicata Squash. It was super yum and super cool to see all the different variations. And for me since I eat so much squash and Delicata squash in particular, nice to have new ideas on how to make them.
I'll start you off with some food porn:
|Almost all the dishes|
|Fresh veggies, Delicata Squash Hummus and Delicata/Apple Chutney|
|Delicata Squash patties, Roasted Delicata and Delicata and Apple Pilaf|
|My plate! (Round 1)|
|Delicata Squash patties in action|
SO we had:
- Delicata Squash patties: Delicata squash, garlic and bread crumbs pan fried in olive oil
- Delicata Squash hummus: Roasted delicata squash and hummus mixed together and served with fresh veggies, Belgium endive and bread
- Roasted Delicata Squash: Roasted upside down for 40 minutes
- Garlic and Parsley Delicata Squash: Roasted, chopped and pan fried in garlic and parsley
- Delicata squash and apple chutney: Delicata squash, royal gala apple, nutmeg, ginger, veggie broth, onions all in a crockpot then pureed
- Delicata and Apple pilaf: recipe below (mine FYI)
Delicata Squash and Apple Pilaf
2 cups brown rice, dry
1 Macintosh apple, cored and seeded
1 Delicata Squash, roasted and chopped
4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1. Cook rice according to package.
2. Add pumpkin seeds to a wok and pan fry until toasted.
3. Add squash and apple, cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add rice, spices and water. Cook until mixed thoroughly, about 5 minutes.5. Enjoy!
Try this squash! I've talked about it before. Tastes like a sweet potato with better nutrition and WAY less calories but JUST as filling. And as you can see, its very versatile.