Friday, November 25, 2011

Crustless Asian Vegan Quiche

I finally decided to try making a vegan quiche. I've never been a big quiche fan before, I mainly only ate them around the holidays as mini quiches are a typical party fare. It was quite the affair making it. I wish I had taken more photos like while I was making it to show you what the different stages are but I wasn't sure how it would turn out so next time!

What I love about quiche is how versatile it is. You can put whatever you want in it. Any kind of veggies you got in your fridge basically. I omitted turmeric this time but mostly because I forgot. I didn't remember until I had already poured it in the pan. Oh well. It makes it look more like eggs.

NOTE: It looks like a lot of ingredients but most of them are spices. Use what you got. Or if you have an "Italiano" or another veggie seasoning, use that to save time!

Crustless Asian Vegan Quiche
Ingredients:
1 pkg extra firm tofu
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp Vegeta
2 tsp Hemp Seeds
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp mirin
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp parsley
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sesame seeds
4 bok choy stalks
1/4-1/2 head broccoli
1/2 bunch
1 jalapeno
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, diced

Directions:

1. Chop all veggies as small as you can. The small the better. I think if they are too big, it won't stay together very well.
2. In a food processor or blender, process the tofu, almond milk and all the spices, sauces and seeds until smooth. Might take a bit of work, use a spoon to work it around. (when the power is off obvs!)
3. Saute in 1/4 cup of water the onions, garlic and all the veggies for 4-5 minutes.
4. Combine tofu mixture and veggies and pour into a pan. I used a round cake pan lightly greased with pam.
5. Bake at 350 for an hour. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

NOTE: I enjoyed this meal. But next time I would add cornstarch to the tofu mixture or something to thicken it up just a little bit. And add turmeric so it looks more "eggy". Also, you can use any veggies you want. Spinach and mushroom is a popular combo.
All done!


I served this meal with roasted delicata squash (plain) and green beans tossed in soy sauce and sesame oil and topped with sesame seeds.
Nourishment on a plate
This meal is all protein and fiber. Very low carb but very filling. I did not miss a crust or rice or anything. This meal is packed full of nutrition. So much protein in the tofu plus the hemp seeds and the veggies have it too. I can't even list all the minerals and vits that are contained in everything. POWERHOUSE meal right there. 

Happy Cooking Everyone!!

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment