Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Stuffed Delicata Squash Mexican Styles

Its the official Day 1 of my 30 day health challenge but I'm calling it Day 2. I partially started yesterday but as I said, I had vegan junk food leftovers to eat. Which was glorious. I followed the plan I outlined yesterday so far for today except for one deviation. As my mid morning snack I had half a cup of my homemade granola with a splash of almond milk and fresh raspberries. You can get my granola recipe here.

I made a lovely dinner last night. SO delish. I have tons of the stuffing leftover for a great carb free lunch. 

Stuffed Delicata Squash Mexican Styles
Ingredients
1 delicata squash, seeds removed and cut length wise in half
1 can chickpeas (wanted to use black beans but didn't have any)
1 cup corn
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp chili powder
1 fresh lemon, juiced
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup salsa
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 avocado

Directions:
1.  Roast squash for 30-45 minutes. Until soft.
2. Saute onions and garlic in 1 tsp olive oil until fragrant. Add the 1/4 cup water, corn, tomatoes and jalapeno. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients and cook until chickpeas are soft. 
4. Stuff the squash and top with avocado.

Note: Daiya would be good on top too, or crushed cashews. 

That's the handful of cilantro I used

Salivating at this point
Nice little dinner for two

I served mine with quinoa. The squash and stuffing can be filling so a nice light side dish would go great. Or none at all if you don't have a big appetite.

Kale Quinoa
Ingredients
1 cup uncooked quinoa
4 kale, stalks removed
1 tsp vegeta
1/4 cup water

Directions:
1. Cook quinoa according to package.
2. Finely chop kale or process in food processor.
3. Near the end of the quinoa cooking time add in the kale and vegeta. Use another 1/4 cup of water if needed. 

So far Day 2 is going good. No crazy sugar cravings yet. But that being said, I've had fruit so maybe later. lol The first 3 days getting off anything is tough. I always have a tough few days when I quit coffee. Which I've been off of since August I think. Sugar is worse though. Its like crack. 

Tonight's meal will be rather simple. I'm just cooking for myself so I'll just do a big pot of greens, whatever kinds I have in my fridge. I did my 1 hour run last night as well as a leg workout. Today will strictly be cardio. I did weights 2 days in a row. Well I'll probs do some abs and push ups. 

Did you start ridding your cupboards/fridge of processed foods yet? Ditch the processed crap and start making your food from scratch. Its not really all that more time consuming once you get the hang of it. And your palate will change too. You'll really start to taste all the flavours. DO it!

Peace!

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment