Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I heart balls.

Who doesn't love balls? I love them that's for sure. Especially when they're as tasty as the balls I'm going to present to you today. The recipe for these protein balls is not my own, although I did make some changes. I got the recipe from a girlfriend who got it from a blog called Smashed Peas and Carrots. You can get the original recipe here but I will give you the one that I made. I only made a couple minor changes. One being that I didn't use honey so that it would be vegan. And I also didn't have any vanilla left and I didn't use chocolate chips........this time. Oh and I used almond butter, and double the amount. Plus I used some hemp seeds too. lol

Sidebar: there is a great debate on whether or not honey is vegan. But what it comes down to is that bees are an animal and honey is produced by bees, therefore its an animal product. But that being said some believe that because we are not taking anything from their body that we aren't harming them. It is a product they create during pollination. It is not their bodily fluids nor their "meat". I don't have any strong feelings towards this, I'm a dietary vegan not an ethical vegan. I do avoid honey when I can. I've probs had it twice since going vegan. Meh. I'm not too worried about it. 

I digress, Back to my balls.

No-Bake Protein Balls
Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1.5 cups almond butter
1/3 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup hemp seed

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls and pop in your mouth!!! Store in an airtight container. They will store for a week.....if you can keep them that long. 

TIP: I warmed my almond butter in a pot on the stove with a couple tbsp's of water to loosen it up. Mine is natural and the oil had separated so it was a little hard. This loosened it up. Also, I grind my own flax seed, and added half the rolled oats to it too to grind.

I couldn't wait, I ate some from the bowl!

Oh yah! Best balls you'll ever taste

Seriously, these balls are so tasty in your mouth. You should make them. They are super easy and are loaded with nutrition. Lots of protein, iron, calcium, and other vits and mins. If you can hold onto them for the week then you're a better person than me! Lol I had 2 this morning with my blueberries.

Breaky!
So yummy! And the balls kept me full until 1130am! That's unusual for me. I usually eat at 8am and then again at 10am. Lol.

You should make these balls. Or the original recipe. They are super tasty. I'm also gonna make some more. My own recipe. Or modify other ones I've found. Great way to snack or add some good fats and protein to your day.

Has everyone been working out these days? I know my gym has been packed. I hope everyone is getting their fitness on. I work out like 6 days a week, 5 on a bad week. I'm gonna start this 100 push up challenge. You can check it out here. I did a test of day 1 last night and I can barely move my arms. Sheeettt. Lol

Planking but not on a million

I wonder if anyone will get my planking reference? ha

Peace

xoxo

K






No comments:

Post a Comment