I did a little experimentation in my kitchen last night trying to come up with something tasty and crafty. I use quinoa quite a bit. I love it. Super nutrient packed and full of protein. I was going to make little quinoa and chickpea patties but I didn't have any chickpeas. Fret not, I used fava beans instead. A white, broad bean. I don't like to pan fry food in oil, I usually cook with very little oil. I was planning on baking these suckers and then it came to me. USE MUFFIN TINS! Yes. Its just logical. lol
I came up with this little gem. One thing that I will do next time though is up the flax seed mixture so it stays binds better. I def didn't use enough. I'll give you my recipe that I made last night and then give you a recommendation on the amount to use.
Quinoa Bean Cakes
2 cups dry quinoa, cooked according to package
1 can fava beans
1 inch piece ginger
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp corriander
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup almond milk
Flax seed mixture
3 tsp ground flax seed
1/2 cup water
1. Process carrots, ginger, garlic, fava beans and onion in a food processor. Make sure the beans get mashed. My food processor is small so I did the beans on their own.
2. Mix together all the ingredients except for the flax seed mixture. Add any additional spices to your taste.
3. If using whole flax seeds, grind them in a blender before adding the water. Blend until gelatinous. Believe me, it'll happen. About 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Combine the flax mixture with the quinoa mixture and ball up and put in a lightly greased muffin tin. Press down.
5. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
|Dinner for 2!|
What I didn't show were all the bottles of wine me and Jimmy consumed. Jeez, polished off 3! Oops. Made for a rough morning. lol Had a real tough go of it. I saw this video today and thought it was hilarious.
I say quite a bit of those. I thought shit girls say was AWESOME. Laughed my butt off, but all the others were just ok. This is the only other one that made me laugh. The ending is perfect. HA.
Hope everyone has a kick ass weekend. Mine is jammed packed as usual but I'm hoping to be able to get to the gluten free expo on Sunday at the Croatian Cultural Center. Entry is by donation to the food bank. Cool!