Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Black Bean Soup

I haven't made a black bean soup in a long time. It usually doesn't last long in my house because I just love it so much. Its such an easy filling meal. You top it with a little salsa and avocado/guacamole and BAM!!! Delish meal right there. Its filled with fibre, vitamins and minerals. 

I figured the soup would be pretty safe if I made it back to back with another soup. That way I'd have too many options for lunch and would HAVE to freeze some. Yah! Plus I used way more beans this time.

Pureed Black Bean Soup
Ingredients
4 cups dry black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
1 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
3 garlic cloves
6 cups water
2.5 tsp cumin
4 tsp chili powder
2 bay leaves
3 tsp Vegeta (dry veggie stock)
3 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions:
Place all ingredients into your slow cooker and cook for 8 hours. Remove bay leaves and puree until smooth. Taste and add any additional seasoning to your taste. 

TIP: Make sure you soak your dried beans overnight and rinse them. The more you soak and rinse the easier they will be to digest. And by that, I mean you won't fart as much. You know what they say, beans are the magical fruit. But the more you soak them the better. If you use canned beans make sure its 4 cups, which should be about 2 of the larger cans. And rinse those too. But they don't need to be soaked. 

Black Bean Soup

Yummy!!! And super filling because its pretty much just pureed beans. It kinda turned out like refried beans so if you want it to be a little more "soupy" I'd add one more cup of water. I like it thick like this. Delish!

I'm still totally obsessed with collard greens. I pretty much eat them every day as wraps. Snack on those suckers and you're one happy camper. I started adding jalapenos and sprouts to them. SUPER good!!! I love spicy food!


This one has hummus, carrot, jalapeno, roma tomato and sprouts. I even got a friend at work obsessed with them too. Its such a great way to get major nutrition in a delish way. 

My new thing is making my own protein balls. I tried last week and it was a partial fail. Not sure if I talked about it. I say partial because they were damn tasty but they wouldn't ball up. Jerks. So I just ate them straight from the bowl. Lol. I'm classy like that. So I picked up about 5 or 6 different recipes and I'm gonna try a couple out tonight I think. At least one. And these are all no-bake balls. Lol Mmmmm 

I was so surprised  that the gym wasn't a gong show last night. It was pretty busy but I was able to get on a treadmill! Yay! But I couldn't' take a shower after, I had to wait. It was a zoo. I think the snow scared everyone off. And tonight I have my first skype date with a friend in Korea so I'll be going a bit later, so there better be a treadmill for me then! You hear that?!! LOL 

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment