Friday, May 4, 2012

The Greenest smoothie ever made

I know I know, bold statement right? lol

This morning I wanted a smoothie that was different than my norm. My smoothies are typically a very odd colour because I put protein powder and spirulina in them every day. Spirulina is a green algae that is high many many minerals and nutrients. This aquatic plant offers 60% all-vegetable protein, iron, essential vitamins such as vitamin B12 and phytonutrients such as the antioxidant beta-carotene, essential fatty acid GLA, sulfolipids, glycolipids and polysaccharides. Its deep green color comes from its rainbow of natural pigments —chlorophyll. I've talked about chlorella before which is high in chlorophyll as well. It promotes cell regeneration which is good for athletes or fitness junkies because it speeds up your recovery time. :)

Anyways, back onto my greenest smoothie ever.

Greenest smoothie ever
Ingredients
5 kale leaves, stalks intact
1 green apple, cut not cored
1 cup mixed fruit (I used a fruit salad someone bought me)
1 banana
2 tsp spirulina powder
2 tsp flax seeds
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup coconut milk, low fat
1/2 scoop Vega original flavour
5 ice cubes
water

Directions:
Blend it up! lol


I know some people are turned off my green food, especially drinks but I love it! To me it means that I'm drinking/eating something that is uber healthy. I know that I'm having something nutritious as green is the colour of life.

Another great point of spirulina is that is contains lots of B12, so if you're vegan or vegetarian and worried about B12, add this to your daily smoothie and your body will thank you. It also has tons of iron. So go get your green on!

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment