Sunday, May 20, 2012

Homemade Hot Sauce, quickie guac and a burrito bowl

I love burrito bowls. Love love love. My fave one is from Whole Foods but I make a mean ass bowl myself. :) Last night was one of those nights. As I was getting the ingredients out of my fridge and cupboards, a package of dried morita chilies fell out. I've been wanting to make my own hot sauce for a while now. It only makes sense. I LOVE hot sauce and put it on all my food, so why wouldn't I make my own?

Krystle's Killer Hot Sauce
Ingredients
4 dried morita chiles
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup veggie stock
1 tsp agave nectar

Directions:
Soak the morita chilies in warm water for 30 minutes. Saute the onions and red peppers in 1 tsp of grapeseed or olive oil for 5 minutes.


In the meantime, add the soaked chilies to a food processor and process for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.

Krystle's Killer Hot Sauce
I found this hot sauce to be SUPER spicy! I was sweating buckets, for reals! Freaking AWESOME! :) Kicked my butt. lol

I didn't want to just add avocado to my burrito bowl, I wanted guacamole. I didn't have much other than one avocado and 2 jalapenos. So I popped those into a food processor along with a little sea salt, 1/2 a lime, juiced and voila! Quickie, yummy guac. Ready for my burrito bowl.


I then sauteed up some veggies and used some cooked black beans for my bowl.

Veggies and Black Beans
Ingredients
1 cup dried black beans, cooked (2 cups cooked)
1 cup frozen corn
1 carrot, sliced
1 celery, sliced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions:
Saute the carrots and celery in 1/4 cup water for 5 minutes, add remaining ingredients and cook for another 10 minutes.

Serve with brown rice, salsa and quacamole. Layer it up and make a burrito bowl! Add baked tofu for added protein. I diced mine into cubes and baked them for 20-30 minutes with chili and garlic powder.


So in my burrito bowl there's brown rice, baked tofu, veggie and black beans, salsa, homemade guacamole and homemade hot sauce. Super yummy and satisfying. Nourishing as well. Tons of protein, fiber, minerals and vitamins. That hot sauce was all sorts of spicy. Mucho picante! :)

I thought the guacamole would add some balance to the spiciness of the hot sauce but I tried it on its own and it was super spicy too. LOL FUN. :)

So if you like spicy food, give this hot sauce and burrito bowl a go! I dare yah! :)

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment