Thursday, September 29, 2011

Vegan Jambalaya

One of my favorite dishes to make is Jambalaya. Its got everything in it. When I went vegan I had to come up with a new version of it and I think its pretty tasty. In fact, my friend Kevin says its his fave dish I make.

Vegan Jambalaya

Ingredients:

2 cups brown rice
2 Sun dried tomato tofurkey sausages
1 can black beans
2 carrots. sliced
1/2 large onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 handfuls green beans, cut bite size
4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
1 cup veggie stock
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili flakes (or more if you like it HOT)
pepper

Directions:

1. Cook the rice according to package. Substitute half the water with veggie stock and add 2 tsp of tomato paste for extra flavour.
2. Saute onions, garlic, and carrots in a tbsp of olive oil for 2 minutes. Add half the veggie stock and cook covered for 5 minutes.
3. Add the remaining veggies, beans and sausages and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the rice, tomato sauce, spices and veggie stock. Stir until fully mixed. Add additional spices if need be.
5. Cook on medium to low heat for 5 minutes and serve.

I was starved last night when I made it and I forgot to take a picture. I was pretty much ready to pass out by the time I ate. My bowls are way nicer, this ones from work. Try this recipe though, it may not be authentic but it sure is tasty! Its got lots of protein, fiber, and heat to keep you warm on these cold nights!

Its pretty easy to modify this recipe with whatever you have in the kitchen. I put corn, celery and broccoli in it sometimes. And sometimes I add chickpeas too. All depends on what I've got and what I feel like.

Its such a gorgeous day in Vancouver, I hope I can get in a long run tonight after the gym. I'll only do a quick 30 minute leg workout then head out.....before the darkness falls upon us.

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment