One of my favorite dishes to make is Jambalaya. Its got everything in it. When I went vegan I had to come up with a new version of it and I think its pretty tasty. In fact, my friend Kevin says its his fave dish I make.
2 cups brown rice
2 Sun dried tomato tofurkey sausages
1 can black beans
2 carrots. sliced
1/2 large onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 handfuls green beans, cut bite size
4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
1 cup veggie stock
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili flakes (or more if you like it HOT)
1. Cook the rice according to package. Substitute half the water with veggie stock and add 2 tsp of tomato paste for extra flavour.
2. Saute onions, garlic, and carrots in a tbsp of olive oil for 2 minutes. Add half the veggie stock and cook covered for 5 minutes.
3. Add the remaining veggies, beans and sausages and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the rice, tomato sauce, spices and veggie stock. Stir until fully mixed. Add additional spices if need be.
5. Cook on medium to low heat for 5 minutes and serve.
Its pretty easy to modify this recipe with whatever you have in the kitchen. I put corn, celery and broccoli in it sometimes. And sometimes I add chickpeas too. All depends on what I've got and what I feel like.
Its such a gorgeous day in Vancouver, I hope I can get in a long run tonight after the gym. I'll only do a quick 30 minute leg workout then head out.....before the darkness falls upon us.