Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Get Fresh!

One thing I love about summer is FRESH, FRESH, FRESH fruits and veggies! There's nothing more satisfying on a hot day to toss a salad.....woah say wha? lol I mean toss together a salad and not have to turn on the oven/stove/microwave.

I made Natasha's Kale Salad AGAIN last night. And its all gone already. I gobbled it up so fast......actually had it for breakfast. ha


Krystle's Big Summer Salad:
- romaine lettuce
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- blueberries
- strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
- handful walnuts or other nuts
- sprinkle sesame seeds
- dressing of your choice! (I used miso)
- sriracha hot sauce

Now isnt' that gorge? You can def omit the sriracha but its delish. I put that shit on everything. lol Usually I make my own dressing, but I have this delish miso dressing (pssst it has vodka in it!) Here's a dressing I make pretty often:

Asian Sensation Dressing
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ginger powder
Sesame oil to taste (I used 4 tablespoons)
5 tablespoons rice vinegar
5 tablespoons tamari (or any soy sauce, this is gluten free)
Couple splashes of VEGA EFA oil blend
½ tablespoon agave nectar
¼ cup low fat coconut milk

 Whisk, shake, or stir all ingredients together and toss with the ingredients below or your favourite salad!! If you don't have VEGA oil sub olive oil.

Here's another good salad recipe too. It takes advantage of some good summer ingredients AND the Quinoa makes it high in protein. GET SOME!
Mango and Quinoa salad
1 cup dried black quinoa
1 mango
½ cucumber
½ juice of a fresh lime
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon tamari
2 tablespoons VEGA EFA oil blend
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1.       Cook quinoa according to the package and let it cool in the fridge.
2.       Chop the mango and cucumber
3.       Toss all ingredients together and ENJOY!!
Additions: toasted sesame seeds, chopped green onion, chili peppers for a kick!

These are from another night. Added a fruit salad as well.
Not sure what's on the menu tonight. Cooking up a feast and watching Final Destination 5! Yes! I love those movies. Well most movies, but horror in particular. Should be a fun time. I'm sure I'll gasp a few times. Haha

My jams: I'm back onto the Watch the Throne album by Jay Z and Kanye. Man that ish is good. Who gon stop me, huh?

My beefs (shud i say my veggies?): All these NHL or other league hockey players losing their lives. What the heck is going on? Its been a very bad off season for them. RIP

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment