Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sweet jeezus! Sweet potato!

I did not cook anything special up last night. Just a good ole salad. I was in too much of a hurry. SO after looking through my archives I found this goody of a recipe that I got from Vegweb. I've got to say its DELISH. I used their recipe but did not cook it the same way. And added a couple extra ingredients cuz that's how I roll.


Coconut Quinoa and Sweet Potato Curry

Ingredients:

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas with liquid
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 can peas
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil (to saute garlic and onion)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon cardamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
salt, to taste
pepper to taste
1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk (I prefer the "lite" milk)

Directions:
1. Cook the quinoa according to the package.
2. Heat oil in a big pan and add garlic and onion. Fry for 2 minutes
3. Add sweet potato, chickpeas and peas and 1/2 - 1 cup water(enough to cover) Cook until soft
4. Once soft, add all spices, quinoa and coconut milk
5. Reduce heat and mix well. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
6. Add more spice if you like it HOT!

Here's a crappy pic I took from my phone. Its not great quality but it that's all I got.
Sweet potatoes are awesome. They have tons of vit A and C plus potassium and iron! That along with the peas, chickpeas and quinoa and you've got one nutritious meal. :)

I would like to talk about sugar again. Obviously we all know that sugar gives us energy. But what is happening is when it is absorbed into your bloodstream, your blood sugar level rises. Duh. The pancreas then releases insulin to remove it from there into your cells to use the energy. The more refined the sugar, the greater work has to be done to do this process. We need sugar for many functions but excess sugar is stored as FAT. Yes, I said FAT. While your body is producing insulin to bring the sugar levels down, it cannot produce the hormone Glucagon that takes fat and releases it so you can burn it off.

So basically, all the working out you do and still eat boat loads of sugar will not equal weight loss. I think the main source of most people's sugars are from drinks. I don't like to drink my calories (unless there is booze in it), but even then I never choose a juice. For example, did you know that Vitamin Water has like 33grams of sugar! say wha!? Even Tonic water (or toxic water) has about 35grams per serving.

And don't think that switching to diet drinks will do you any better. Diet drinks contain aspartame or sucralose or whatever other shitty sugar that actually INCREASES our cravings for sugar. Its like a trick in your body. It thinks sugar is coming but it doesn't so it starts to want it. So watch out!

Even though white sugar is from a cane plant it is highly refined and stripped of all its nutrients and minerals. Its very high on the glycemic index. Brown sugar isn't any better. Its basically made in the same way. Highly processed and mixed with molasses or dye to make it brown.

Sugars I use:
- agave nectar: from the tequila plant, low glycemic index
- brown rice syrup: made from brown rice
- stevia: made from a leaf, low glycemic index and virtually no calories
- coconut sugar: made from coconut flowers, low glycemic index
- maple syrup: from sap, a little high on the glycemic index

All that info aside. Its REALLY tough to avoid white refined sugar. Very hard. And I'm a healthy MoFo. I can't escape it. Especially when my good pal chocolate is loaded with it. Your best bet is to try. Cut out some of those processed foods. Boxed foods, juices and pops, condiments, etc. A diet rich in whole foods will keep you healthy and gorgeous! I switched to fruit as my sugar rush. And although it has sugar in it, its from a whole food source that hasn't been refined.

Funny story: Last night I saw a naked bike rider heading to Stanley park. lol He was screaming quite loudly cuz he was going a little off road.....it was a tad bumpy I guess. HA.

My jams: Warren G and Nate Dog - Regulate! I had shuffle going on this AM. LOVE that track.

Race time: It is rapidly approaching. As usual I am not prepared. I haven't even registered! My first one up is 5 Peaks - Buntzen Lake . Its about 15km and has an elevation gain like the grind. I hike up the diaz vista then around the lake. I need some cheerleaders! help!

Next is my first half marathon in Victoria. That's 21km! Jeez.

Peace!

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment