Sunday, September 18, 2011

Prepping for a cold winter

Well, winter is upon us. Lol. It was so cold tonight! Went to Bard on the Beach and saw 'As you Like it'. I really think we should have brought a blanket or something, I had to get a tea at the intermission to warm up. I got 'African red bush' in case you were wondering. LOLLL But it was awesome! I took my friend Kevin for his birthday. We went to Las Margaritas for dinner before, which was fab. I love that place. I usually get the veggie enchiladas sans cheese but I opted for Kev's favorite, the veggie fajitas. YUM!!! I love fajitas. I had a definite food coma after though, so walking from the restaurant to the play was needed.


Doesn't that look DELISH??? If you haven't been to Las Margaritas then you really should go, ASAP. And if you have been, just go again. You know you wanna. <drool>

I made quite a bit of food this weekend. I felt like I needed to stock up my freezer with some soup and chili. I've never made split pea soup so I decided to give that a-go. I don't have fond memories of split pea soup, so I thought it would be nice to try to change its rep. I think it gets a bad one.

Split pea Soup

Ingredients:
2 cups green split peas
3 red potatoes, diced
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4 cups veggie stock
4 cups water
1 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp sea salt
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Put all ingredients into a crockpot and cook for 10 hours. I set mine in the morning while I'm gone for the day and when its dinner time, viola!

Such a gross colour, no? lol but it sure is tasty!Warms you to your core. Its all thick from the cooked split peas and the potato. Comfort food that is healthy! There's fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein and fills you up without loads of fat. I'll take two please! lol

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment