Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Vegucation: Salads and Smoothies OH my!

Smoothies are an awesome way to get a lot of nutrients and fiber in one glass. I love smoothies. I pretty have one every day. And lately I've been a little obsessive with it. I have at least one, but sometimes 2 smoothies a day. They are really easy on the digestive system. Some other benefits of drinking smoothies are:

  • Provides a huge amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
  • Contains fiber for awesome digestion
  • Provides the body with instant energy
  • Protects the immune system
  • Hydrates you
  • Easy to make
  • Easy to take on the go
  • Add hemp, flax, chia, for protein, omegas, fiber, iron.....
  • Add spirulina or chlorella for protein, chlorophyll and other awesomeness
  • Add protein powder or shake mix (Vega)
Nuff said.

Every morning I have a smoothie for breaky and then at lunch I eat a big salad. When I say big....I mean HUGE. Its jam packed.

K's Big Salad
Ingredients
Lettuce - spinach, romaine, kale
Cucumber
Carrot
Celery
Boiled yams
Spiced chickpeas
Black beans
Baked tofu
Avocado
Hemp seeds

That's just what's been in my salads for the last few days. A mixture of those ingredients. I'm no dainty salad eater. My salads have to be full of diversity and bulk. There are so many other options too. If I had some almonds or cashews I'd throw them in too. Peppers, tomatoes, fruit, sunflower seeds, corn......endless.


YUM! Look at that lunch! BAM. Smoothie, big salad, peeled orange, apple, and lemon mustard dressing. Yup. I'm healthy. lol Oh a big bottle of water. Easier to track and make sure I'm getting enough.

I honestly don't know who wouldn't be happy with that lunch? It was awesome FYI. I have been feeling totally amazing since I started doing this daily. At least one smoothie and one big salad a day. Ups the raw portion of my diet up. Which has amazing benefits and provides way more nutrients by not heating them. I love cooked food don't get me wrong. But when I have a higher proportion of raw foods in my diet, I feel better. More energetic. My dinners are always cooked though.

Go-to Smoothie
Ingredients
1-1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
1 banana
2 handfuls spinach
1 scoop Vega (protein powder)
1 tsp ground flax seeds
1/2 lemon, juiced
2-3 cups water (adjust to your taste)


Other mainstay additions:
spirulina
hemp seeds
chia seeds
lime
almond milk

Sorry I haven't posted a new dinner recipe but I haven't been cooking this week other than these salads and smooties. But I shall tomorrow, don't fret. ;)

Peace

xoxo

K

2 comments:

  1. Wow you don't mess around when it comes to vegetables. That salads looks pretty damn tasty :P What do you do for dressings? Oh wait I see, a dressings category and will check ther.

    I'd have to say that VEG is my favorite food group! But haven't had a whole lot in my diet over the past 3 months.

    Cant wait for summer with all the fresh goodies and some cool new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL true dat! I never buy salad dressing. I usually use half lemon with some mustard and sriracha. Or salsa

      Get on it! you need it. :) I'm excited for the Farmers Markets!

      Delete