Saturday, April 14, 2012

Let's get Vegucated! Pinto Beans Edition: Refried Beans

I like pinto beans. I think that most people do but they aren't used in cooking very much. I always use black beans and chickpeas. They are my faves and my go-to's. But pinto beans should not be forgotten.

1 cup Pinto Beans:
Calories: 245
Protein: 15g
Dietary Fiber: 15g
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 20%
Fat: 1g

They are also high in Folate, Vitamin K, B6 and Thiamin. PLUS magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, and potassium.

Mostly I make refried beans out of pinto beans. You can check out my recipe here. But I have been trying to use them instead of black beans or chickpeas just to add some variety in my bean diet. lol You can check out a simple recipe where I used them here.

I LOVE refried beans though. Typically refried beans are prepared with pinto beans but there are ones made with kidney or black beans. Personally when I make them at home I always use pinto beans but I'm sure any other bean can be used. Or 2 at the same time! Wild idea, I know. :) Refried beans are another crockpot recipe that you can just throw together and come back and ur pretty much all done. Then you have this big pot of beans that you can freeze for times when you're in a tight spot or want a quick easy dinner.

Refried Beans
Ingredients
2 cups pinto beans
2 bay leaves
4 garlic cloves
1 onion, diced
3 tsp chili powder
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
3 cups water
1 cup veggie stock

Directions
Boil pinto beans for 30 minutes then soak over night. Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and cook for 4 hours (or all day). When done, remove bay leaves and blend until smooth.

TIPS: I use a hand blender. Easiest way but if you don't have one just use your blender. Just be careful and let the beans cool a little before transferring. If you do not cook and soak your beans its ok, but they might be a bit more like the magical fruit (if you get my drift....). The more you cook or soak your beans (and rinse) the less gas producing they are.


Look at it all!!! It makes quite a bit. Its at least 6 servings. 2 per container at minimum but could be more because I don't eat them alone. Although, sometimes I just eat a 1/2 cup of refried beans and a little salsa. YUM! But typically I add them to Mexican inspired salads or I make burrito bowls or other Mexican delicacies. :)

Today, I went out to the Lululemon outlet store in Burnaby and picked up a few items. It was kinda slim pickings but I was able to find some stuff. There was a cute jacket but I was strong and just bought workout clothes. Its what I need and it didn't make sense to buy a jacket. Sometimes I'm WAY to practical. LOL I got 2 pairs of VERY short shorts, a sports bra and tank top. Then we went to The Gourmet Warehouse. OMG. Seriously, how happy am I? Fitness and Food. My 2 greatest loves.


Look at that place? Its like my church. Well that and the gym. Ha. I could have spent the day there. My aunt came running to find me because she found the hot sauce aisle. I could NOT choose! SO hard.


That's ALL hot sauce. Well actually there was hot peanut butter. Which I kinda wish I got. I'm not sure it would be good but now I'm curious. After I calmed down and started looking seriously I picked up these things.


I think the hot sauce is actually Canadian too. It must be cuz it has a local number and shaw email addy. That other jar is Jalapeno White Wine MUSTARD!!! OMG! I love mustard. LOL the mustard aisle and the hot sauce aisle held me up. I also got a wooden spoon (love them), a BPA water bottle and a new garlic grinder. Looks cool but haven't used it but I'll post a review when I do.

The water bottle is by Kor. Its BPA free and has this little coin slot thing that you can put an inspirational word in it. The one that came in mine was IMAGINE. Such a cool concept. So every time I lift the cap up to take a sip, I will stare at IMAGINE. They have a website where you can DL other ones too. Positive reinforcement at its finest.



Of course I got the pink one. And to be honest, I didn't even think twice about the colour. My Aunt pointed it out. LOL Its a fave of mine. But they have other colours. Check them out on their website. The black one looks sexy.  It hols 750ml of water, is ergonomically correct, has a cushioned base, easy to clean and refill, the spout is awesome and its just cool looking. Of course I forgot it when I went to the gym. lol

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment