Monday, April 30, 2012

Spicy Sweet and Sour Tofu Steaks

I had this crazy craving for pineapple the other day and whipped up this sweet and sour dish to satisfy my craving. I guess cuz the weather is getting a bit warmer so I'm just craving summer fruits. This was nice and easy to make and yummy. And spicy!

Sweet and Sour Tofu Steaks
Ingredients
1 package extra firm tofu
1/2 pineapple, chopped
7-8 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic, minced
1 inch piece ginger, minced
3 Thai chili peppers, minced
1/4 cup veggie stock
1/2 tsp garlic powder
handful cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced

Directions:
Cut tofu into thick pieces, about 1-2 inches thick. Sprinkle with garlic powder and 1/2 lime juice. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Saute the onions, garlic, ginger and chili peppers in 1/4 cup water (or oil if you like) for 5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except for the cilantro and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the cilantro and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Serve on top of tofu steaks.


You can serve this dish with a side of brown rice and some leafy greens but I opted for some roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli. I tossed both in a little lemon juice, 1 tsp grapeseed oil and some lemon pepper seasoning. YUMMMMM. I baked them at 375 for 45 minutes.  I like my broccoli a little crispy so if you don't like it like that, steam it or take if out after 30 minutes. :)

I talked about a running injury a little while ago that I got from running 10km's in my Nike Free Run 2's. Well one of my girlfriends is a physiotherapist and offered to do a little tradesies. I cook, she fixes me. YES! I def got the better end of this deal. She worked on me for over an hour I think but who knows cuz it hurt so bad. No idea of time. I def owe her at LEAST one other dinner.


She turned my tiny apartment into a work station for her. She brought her table, pillows and everything. So awesome. But man did it ever hurt!! It took my breath away. But its all for a greater good. I went out the next day and it felt pretty damn good. She said the shoes really did a number on my feet. Everything was jammed up and just plain ole messed. I think every ones feet are different but I DO NOT recommend Nikes for running. Asics all the way. But go to an store like the Running Room so that they can find the right shoe for you.

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment