Tuesday, October 4, 2011

MoFo Day 4: Coconut Quinoa


I didn't have a lot of time last night to cook as I was going to a friend's place to watch a movie so as I was running on the treadmill I thought of what I could create really fast. I came up with this little gem:

Coconut Quinoa

2 cups quinoa
1 cup TruRoots Organic Sprouted Bean Trio (Costco 9.99!!)
4 tbsp coconut meat
1 can low fat coconut milk (160 ml)
2 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp sea salt

Directions:

1. Cook quinoa and sprouted beans according to their packages
2. In the same pot as the quinoa add the coconut meat, coconut milk, sea salt and garlic powder. Cook on low for 5 minutes.
3. Combine the quinoa mixture with the sprouted beans and serve.
Sorry this one is sideways, I tried my hardest but for some reason it won't change. Grr


Seriously easy and packed full of nutrition. This meal was a powerhouse of protein. With the quinoa, hemp seeds and the sprouted beans there is tons or protein, iron, calcium, fibre and a whole lot more. Since I had roasted the ish outta some veggies and had half a leftover acorn squash. I scraped out the insides and mixed it with the Coconut Quinoa. Let me tell you, this was SO good. The squash added a nice sweetness to it. YUM!
That squash is full!!! It was delish.
The leftovers were pretty damn tasty too. I gave some to a coworker and she said it was tasty! It would be good stuffed in a pepper or mushroom too or on its own like I had for lunch.

I'm in a quinoa kinda mood right now. I'm trying to reduce the amount of processed carbs like bread, noodles and pasta I eat. Which really actually isn't a lot. But I like how I look and feel when I'm eating mostly whole foods. Tonight I'm thinking I will make some quinoa dish with a Thai kick. I have some lemongrass in the fridge so we'll see what I come up with.

Stay tuned for MoFo Day 5!!!

Peace

xoxo

K

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you can find the sprouted bean trio at your Costco--I keep asking at mine, but no luck so far, and I'm far too grumpy about it to pay the same price for half the size at Whole Foods. :)

    I'm bookmarking this, though, for when I do get some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that sucks! Keep asking, it'll happen eventually.
    Try using lentils in the mean time. I think it'll be great! Mmmmm I'm hungry again.

    ReplyDelete