Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A quicky is all you need

Sometimes a quicky is all you need. They can be very satisfying, fulfilling, and fun! So I def recommend them when time is tight. Sometimes you need a quicky in the morning, at lunch, or in this case it was dinner. Lol I needed a quicky on Friday night after the gym and before heading out for the night. Ha. I whipped up this little number which was super nutritious and filling and kept me going all night. 

Quicky Quinoa
Ingredients
1 cup dry red quinoa
1 cup mixed beans
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 tsp dry veggie stock
1/2 tsp cumin
pepper
3-3.5 cups water

Toppings
green onion
jalapeno

Directions:
Add the quinoa, water, carrots and beans to a pot and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed. The quinoa should be soft but a little crunchier than white quinoa. Add the seasonings and serve. Top with green onion and fresh jalapeno.

I served my quicky quinoa along side some steamed veggies and smoked tofu sandwiches. I picked up some awesome non-gmo and organic smoked tofu, pan fried it with no oil then made little sandwiches with hummus, green onion and jalapeno. I just steamed some bok choy for about 3 minutes for some added veggies.

This is what I got:


 I just drizzed a little dijon on my bok choy. Me loves mustard.


 This was a little lunch I picked up from the good ole Whole Foods. I got a ABC juice (apple, beet, carrot), a raw kale tahini salad and I tossed in a little cucumber and hummus and a cup of my leftover quinoa. YUM!


And here is another Whole Foods meal. I picked up a burrito bowl with my friend Laura for our Bachelor Mondays. I LOVE the burrito bar from WF. Seriously, its the bomb! And if you're veggie, they got bbq'd tofu! BAM! This sucker is loaded with brown rice, corn, black beans, bbq tofu, roasted veggies, guacamole, 2 kinds of salsa, green onions, tomatoes and lettuce. LIKE WOAH. 

Check it out!


PS: SO I'm thinking about adding posts where I talk about particular veggies/fruits/legumes/grains/nuts/seeds/etc and their nutritional components and such. What's their goodness quotient and such. You likey that idea? Yah, I think it'll be beneficial to ppl. I always get asked about a particular food, maybe that will be my wknd posts since I never do them. lol 

Peace

xoxo

K



No comments:

Post a Comment