Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Lentil Sweet Potato Stew

I have noticed that my stock of soups, stews and chilies in my freezer has gotten quite low. I've been eating them up pretty fast which is good and bad. I used to cook a goodie in my crockpot once a week to keep it full. I made sure they were rotated so nothing stayed in there for very long but the summer makes it a little hard to want to eat a soup for lunch. Lol.

That being said, since my accident in Portland, I have been dying to cook. That's actually when I knew that I was getting back to my normal self. As you know, I'm a big lover of cooking. It makes me feel awesome and creative. Its one of my only creative outlets I guess. I'm no painter, sculptor or artist of that kind. And I def don't play any musical instruments. haha. But cooking is where I love to be creative. Its so fun because you can just be so wild with it as long as you are somewhat knowledgeable about the ingredients. But I sure love to pair unusual flavour profiles I've been told. 

The recipe I'm sharing today is not unusual in my books. I love lentils. They are super hearty and provide a good bang for your buck in terms of nutrients, mostly protein. Even if you eat this stew without rice or any side dish, you will be satisfied. I've done both. Had it alone and had it with rice or other veggies.

Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
Ingredients
1 large sweet potato, chopped
1 cup green lentils
4 small/medium carrots, diced
4 small tomatoes, diced
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chili flakes
3 tsp tomato paste
2 cups veggie stock
6 cups water
1 bunch kale, chopped small

Directions:
Place all ingredients except for kale into a slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours. At end of cooking time, add the chopped kale and cook for an additional 20 minutes.



Serve on its own or with some brown rice. Makes a nice complete meal that is wholesome and nutritious!! I used dried lentils as lentils don't need to be cooked ahead of time but if you have canned ones you can use those too. Brown ones would work well too but I don't think red would work in this recipe. But hey, give it a shot!

Enjoy!

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment